|The network as it existed before I began work.|
Since this customer has 2 internet connections leaving WAN2 disconnected would not work, also since we no longer use RV routers a switch would have to be added.
Since the network was a bit messy I took this opportunity to install a vertical 4 space mount on the wall.
SRP router mouted on the wall,
vertical 4 space mount installed
DSL connected to SRP router.
I removed the patch panel mount and installed it into the vertical 4 space mount, and installed my SRP router below.
|Everything mounted and patched in.|
In the background (black boxes and wires) is the cable modems
which I did not touch or modify the existing wiring configuration in any way.
I really only *needed* a 2 space mount, but a 3 space mount would have been ideal. The reason I opted for the 4 space mount instead of a 3 space is that there was only a $5 price difference, so this provides an additional space for future expansion. I used one of the spaces to let the wires pass behind the patch panel since the wires are coming in from above.
|The view from above. 16 port TP link switch patched in,|
DSL modem and surge protector resting on lip of bracket.
The job is not as neat as it would have been had I started everything from scratch, or had I been permitted to take down the entire network for a few hours. However it is much neater and more manageable then it was when I first arrived to replace the router and add the switch.
All in all it took aprox. 3 hours because some settings had to be migrated from the old router in order for the PCs to be able to communicate with the local server.
If I would have just changed the router and switch I probably could have gotten out of there within an hour, but I wanted to clean up some of the mess in the closet so that it will be easier to work on this network in the future.