Monday, August 20, 2012

Pancode door phone install

One of our new customers had the above door phone at their location already. We took over their phone service with our hosted PBX service, and the customer wanted to use the door phone, that the previous hosted PBX VoIP provider apparently was unable to get working.

Upon first install I installed a PAP2 to provide the dial tone to this doorphone. However the problem was that the device would go off hook at aprox. every 25 seconds. This in turn would make the hot dial call out to the customers phone. I removed the device and brought it to the office for testing, since we generally provide our customers with a different brand and model door phone. Upon returning to the office for testing the unit worked as it should. My initial thought were that the loop length between the network closet and the door phone might be too far away and that there must be some loss in the loop current or voltage, so I was prepared to run a CAT 5 from the network closet to the drop ceiling above the door phone and leave the PAP2 in the ceiling.

Out of curiosity, I connected the device that I had used for testing to this door phone just prior to running a new CAT5, and it worked flawlessly. With one exception. The device that I had used for testing was hotdialing my extension at the office, and not the customers number. A change to the dial plan solved that problem.

The difference? The device that I had used to test the unit in the office was a SPA2102 while the device originally installed at the customers location was a PAP2. Not really sure why the 2102 worked flawlessly while the PAP2 would cause the unit to go off hook aprox. every 25 seconds, but it solved my problems and now the device is working as intended.

The only problem now is that the audio quality is not very good to hear whoever answers the phone inside the office, but that is a problem with the device itself, as it is an old unit that the customer had for a while so the device has some physical damage, but other than that, being able to answer the door phone, and buzz people in is perfect. This device can easily be replaced with a new one to resolve the audio problems that it is currently experiencing.

40+ CAT5 runs, 8U rack and 48 port patch panel

I recently completed a large job of aprox. 40 CAT5 runs, including installing an 8U rack and 48 port patch panel. This job took just under a week from start to finish, including testing and labeling as well as providing a wiremap for the customer so that they would know what room each jack was terminated in. 

All of the cabling brought to the new networks location.

Punching down the 48 port patch panel.

Rack and patch panel mounted and installed.

Another angle of the rack and patch panel completed. 

The customer was having their IT company come in to move the switches from the old network room over to the new patch panel.