The magic jack is a revolutionary product, at an unbelievable value. Because everyone has become accustom to the rates of land line telephone service, and even VoIP services many people ask if this product and its service is too good to be true. Some have even asked if the product is legal.
I do recommend the magic jack to people. I think it is a great little gadget. At $40 for the device, and $20 a year for service after the first included year how can it NOT be worth the money?
I do however warn people that the magic jack (referred to as MJ hereon out) is not suitable as a land line replacement.
Here are the faults of the MJ to keep in mind:
* USB device - requires PC to be on and connected to high speed internet to work.
* Does not support data transmissions such as fax or dial up modems
* Does not offer call forward on busy (useful if you were considering using this for a business line, it will not "roll over")
But for the cost of the device you get
* A US telephone number for life (my MJ has been disconnected for several months, and the number still forwards to my home, and I am still able to log into the MJ website)
* Unlimited US/CAN long distance calling
So, with its limitations why do I still recommend this device?
Well, cheaper long distance calling then your current telephone provider. As a secondary line, so that more than one person in your home can use a phone at the same time. For traveling, so that you do not have to pay high rates to keep in touch with people when away from home.